High Consumption (using a lot of shock) Rates of Soft Swim®
(also Baqua Shock®,
Why do you have it & what causes it:
High consumption rates of Soft Swim® "C" (also Baqua Shock®, Splashes® Shock, Revacil® Shock) are caused by a variety of factors. High consumption refers to the fact that your pool is or seems to be "using" a lot of hydrogen peroxide shock. Here's a list of the most common causes:
Heavy metals (iron, copper, manganese) present in the pool water (even trace
Early algae growth.
Poor circulation due to inadequate pump (horse power doesn't mean too much,
sometimes smaller is better) or positioning of the return jets.
Poor circulation due to lack of pool usage.
Overwhelming introduction of dirt & debris into the pool (overhanging trees,
construction area nearby, etc.).
Addition of fresh water through rainfall or garden hose. Especially large
amounts over a short period of time.
Bio-film growth in
the pool filter system & piping.
Heavy bather usage without proper additions of sanitizers/oxidizers.
Overwhelming introduction of "unfilterable" waste from swimmers (cosmetics,
lotions, body fluids).
Use of Heater (water too warm) causing faster sanitizer usage.
Use of Solar Heating System (system is not being adequately chemically treated
to kill build-up of biofilms, algae, etc.).
....Are you getting the Hint? Here's more...
Insufficient sunlight on the pool. UV rays are a GREAT natural oxidizer. (Indoor
pools are a whole other issue that we will not address here.)
Lawn & chemical sprays "drifting" into the pool (from a neighbor).
Filter needing a chemical cleaning (remember that using a straight acid
will only set the greases & oils into the filter media).
Pool not being vacuumed or brushed on a regular basis.
Broken or otherwise damaged filter lateral (sand), septum (DE) or element
Unclean solar blanket. A biofilm is building on the side in contact with
Make-up water added to pool from an unclean garden hose. Let the
hose run for 2 to 3 minutes before putting it into the pool.
Dirty pool toys & floats putting a strain on the sanitizer.
Make up water that isn't treated the way it used to be. Many
municipalities are treating the drinking water with chloramines rather than
chlorine; they do an adequate job with bacteria but don't have the
oxidizing strength to combat other non-lethal pathogens. The switch was
done to placate people's perceived "fear" of chlorine being in the water.
Lack of pool-owner care as in regular testing, vacuuming & maintenance.
When was the pool last shocked? Hmm?
As you can see there are many reasons for high rates
of consumption of non-chlorine hydrogen peroxide shock. It's rarely caused
by one issue. Normally it's a combination of factors & you will need to go
through this list (not exhaustive, if we're pushed we could probably think of a
few more) item by item to see if it applies to your particular condition.
high consumption is preferred over treatment. Follow these steps to help prevent
1. Physically brush & clean ALL Pool surfaces weekly, including ladder steps (especially underneath each step) & rails
2. Expose ALL pool surfaces to as much sunlight as possible (sunlight & UV are natural oxidizers)
3. Regularly add oxidizing chemicals into the skimmer to purge & clean the filtration lines of any
AquaFinesse Pool Pucks as a preventative is a great solution)*
4. When adding make-up water from the garden hose, allow the water to run for 2
to 3 minutes before putting the hose into the pool to help flush out stuff that
is in the hose.
5. Regularly test your pool water wither at home or at a local pool
professional's store (just make sure that they're not using the same type of
testing equipment you are) .
6. Regularly clean pool toys & floats (use
Natural Chemistry Cover Cleaner)
7. Regularly clean pool solar blanket (use
Natural Chemistry Cover Cleaner)
8. Chemically clean pool filter every 4 to 6 weeks (use
SoftSwim® Filter Cleaner)
Optimizer Plus® as a preventative measure
to prevent algae growth.
11. Run the filter a minimum of 12 hours daily to prevent "dead spots" in the pool
12. Remember to clean & rinse the brushes, hoses & vacuums that you use to clean the pool.
13. Leave as much of your pool equipment exposed to the sun.
14. Keep the water balanced at all times. Recheck after heavy usage or rain or large "top-offs" of new water. Water balance refers to Free Available Sanitizer level, pH, Total Alkalinity, Calcium Hardness.
15. Pre-treat for metals with
(especially if you have well water).
16. Shower before using the pool to help remove body oils, cosmetics, etc.
17. Use a
SkimMor to trap pollen & other debris that would otherwise pass through the
skimmer & filter system.
18. Cut back overhanging tree branches that put in leaves, pollen, debris.
19. Use the pool!
Treatment MUST BE QUICK AND TOTAL! DON'T SKIMP!
1. Clean all pool & affected surfaces as prescribed above.
2. Physically clean & remove all visible algae
3. Add an initial dosage of algicide to the pool*
4. "Shock" the pool with a triple or quadruple dose*
5. Run filter 24 hours daily until water is clear & halogen or peroxide levels are maintained at a "higher" level*
6. Chemically clean the filter
7. Bring in a fresh water sample about 4 days later for a retest & evaluation
8. Maintain Optimizer Plus® levels
9. Maintain good water balance of pH, Total Alkalinity & Calcium Hardness.
10. Use the pool!
*Follow the instructions given by your pool care specialist EXPLICITLY. Failure to do so could result in harm to you and/or your pool & its components.
If you still need help, here's how to
store hours): Shelton 203-377-0100